Setting the Scene – The Pregnancy Context
1) Importance of using a wellness not an illness model,
incorporating a preventative health care, not a biomedical model.
(Hence, organ pathology and differential diagnosis to be set aside in
favour of health enhancement – which is individualised and yet does
follow a pattern of its own: homeostasis).
2) Well pregnancy – how to achieve it. Importance of all of life
Yang Sheng. Especially quality pre-conception care taking in great
sperm and both having potentials maximized and BBT’s normal before they
a) Normal menstruation – a marriage of great Qi and Blood production and Circulation.
· Is she easily fertile, after having a life of easy periods?
· Does IVF implantation work – or is there a cold belly and nest awaiting the fetus?
b) Once pregnant:
· General digestive/sleeping /comfort issues - Yang Qi is not sufficient to cover all her and baby’s needs.
· Nausea as the digestive process is unable to sustain wellness
· Tendency to spotting/bleeding/backaches and getting up at night a lot to pee.
· We start to see the beginnings of various ‘organ’ pathologies here.
· Likelihood of not sustaining pregnancy/miscarriage
b) Later in pregnancy
· Having a weakened system so the placental flow is not optimal.
· Small for dates/reduced amniotic liquor
· Back aches and sciatica
· Pelvic pain including PSD
· Lack of spontaneous energetic birthing
· Post birth – tendency to haemorrhage, prolapse increased
3) Role of Yang Qi in the well body. What wastes Yang Qi – hence
homework/important self care points of interest. (How not to continue
in the wasting cold habits)
PROCESS - What To Do
1) How to remove cold from a body and why we would. What to do next (increase the Yang - moxa info)
2) What happens when a woman has a cool belly. Why is it cold? – the oven should be hotter . . . as should her BBT.
1) What to do to ensure maternal and fetal safety. Includes – increasing maternal Yang immediately.
2) Moxa pyramids on ginger and pre warmed salt in navel.
3) What happens if we do not – i.e. ignore the obvious?
REVIEW & QUESTIONS
Restoration of local circulation (possibly bleeding luo vessels)
Placental flow issues (sacral fan moxa)
Structural integrity of tissues and organs
Progesterone levels dependent on thryoid and this dependent on Yang Qi.