Five Element Graduate Program (Northwest)
Presented by Niki H. Bilton
A two-year program, designed for practitioners who wish to significantly deepen their understanding and application of the theory and practice of the breadth of five element acupuncture.
- The program will review, explore and expand upon the clinical significance of:
- the classical roots of five element acupuncture
- the concepts of health within five element acupuncture, including one’s proper nature (xing) and destiny (ming)
- Dao, yinyang, HeavenEarthMan, the four seasons, the five elements and wuxing correspondences
- the five spirits (shen) and the five wills (zhi)
- zheng (regulatory) qi versus xie (pathogenic) qi
- physiology and pathology of shen, qi, jing, xue and jinye, with reference to challenges presented by the internal, external and miscellaneous causes of disease causing shi (full) and xu (empty) conditions
- the nature (spirit/essence) and clinical application of individual acupuncture points, based on the imagery of the characters
- point groupings including windows of the sky, the four seas and empirical local/middle/distal points
- the four examination skills employed in the physical/structural examination and comprehensive TD, including a range of palpation techniques and inquiry via the ten questions
- diagnosis of the CF and withins through CSOE, including the dynamics of congruent energetic invitations
- elegant treatment of the CF and withins
- the interrelationships of the twelve officials, both in the regulation and maintenance of life and in the creation of health hazards
- diagnosis of the twelve officials, referencing the 28 pulse qualities, and appropriate treatment in light of CSOE
- locations of jingluo channels and specific acupuncture points
- diagnosis and treatment of jingluo channels (primary, divergent, luo, sinew and the ren and du mai), beyond exit/entry blocks and akabanis
- diagnosis and treatment of the sheng and ke cycles, including a new look at transfers and the four needle technique
- the nature of specific protocols used in five element acupuncture, including IDs/EDs for specific ying qi pathologies, AE for wei qi pathology, and H/W for a fundamental yinyang imbalance
- the integrated treatment of bodymindspirit conditions
- five element treatment techniques and tools, including needling and moxibustion applications
- adjunct aids to treatment, including structural acumoxa, ginger and salt compresses, first aid remedies, derma rollers and seven star hammers
- patient education based on Asian medical principles of health and nutrition
- dynamics of the patient-practitioner relationship, including ethical and liability issues
- inner cultivation of the practitioner, the spirit of reflective practice and critical inquiry
STRUCTURE OF THE PROGRAM
The Five Element Graduate Program requires a commitment to attend five sessions of 6 days duration (Thursday-Tuesday) over a two year period. Sessions will be arranged so that morning classes explore and discuss theoretical information while afternoon classes consist of practical exercises and skill development, allowing for ease and immediacy of learning. Classes will run daily from 9.30am to 5.30pm, with class breaks from 11-11.30am and 3.30-4pm, and lunch breaks from 1-2pm. Participants will be given optional reading references, and voluntary assignments based on work with patients to guide their studies and clinical practice between sessions. The program does not require extra time out of practitioners’ busy lives. Participants will also be able to submit questions in advance of specific topics, so that classes can fully address the individual interests and concerns of the participants.
Session 1: May 9th-14th 2013
Session 2: October 31st- November 5th 2013
Session 3: May 8th-13th 2014
Session 4: November 13th- 18th 2014
Session 5: to be announced
This two year program is open to all practicing acupuncturists with a background in five element acupuncture. It is crafted to encourage awareness of what you already know, stimulate recognition of what you do not know, and allow you to mature as a unique instrument of Nature.
CEUs/PDAs: This course is pending approval by the California Acupuncture Board for 7 hours of continuing education in Category 1 per program day (Provider #417). CEUs will be issued at the end of each session.
VENUE: Shannon Conrad’s house: 5532 SE Knight Street-- Woodstock neighborhood--Portland.
OPTION A: Advanced registration discount
one payment of $3,750.00 to be received by 4 months before the start date of the program (9 JAN 2013), which includes the non-refundable deposit of $500.00 (total cost: $3,750.00)
OPTION B: Payment in full discount
non-refundable deposit of $500.00 to be received 4 months before the start date of the program (9 JAN 2013) balance of $3,625.00 due 1 month before the start date of the program (9 APRIL 2013) (total cost: $4,125.00)
OPTION C: Payment in two installments
non-refundable deposit of $500.00 to be received 4 months before the start date of the program (9 JAN 2013)
first payment of $2,000.00 due by due 1 month before the start date of the program (9 APRIL 2013)
second payment of $2,000.00 due by 1st October due 1 month before the start of the third session of the program (8 APRIL) (total cost: $4,500.00)
Cheques are payable to TendingShen and should be mailed to Julie Lawson, 187 Hodge Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14222. Other payment plans are available by arrangement: please contact Julie Lawson on (905) 894 1323 or email email@example.com
In the first instance please register your interest AS SOON AS POSSIBLE with Shannon Conrad, so that she can arrange a suitable venue according to the number of participants: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cancellation prior to 1st October 2012 will result in a full refund, less the $500 non-refundable deposit. In case of withdrawal after 1st October 2012 and before 31st October 2013, prorated tuition paid in advance for Sessions 3-5, less the $500 non-refundable deposit, will be reimbursed. No reimbursement will be made for withdrawal after 1st October 2013.
Niki H Bilton
MAc (UK), MBAcC (UK), L.Ac (MD)
Trained at the College of Traditional Acupuncture in Warwickshire, England (1979-1988), Niki has maintained a private practice since 1982 and a clinical consultancy service since 1989. She served for many years as a lecturer, clinical supervisor and Dean of Graduate Studies at the UK college, currently teaches in England, Europe and the USA, and is the Academic Dean at Ongiara College of Acupuncture and Moxibustion, Ontario, Canada. Niki is one of the most experienced international tutors of Five Element Acupuncture, able to transform the magic of Daoist classical theory into 21st century clinical application.
“Niki is an empowering and positive teacher with particular skills in bringing an immediate awareness of the elements into practical treatment protocols, and helping practitioners discover within themselves the potency of the inner practitioner.” College of Traditional Acupuncture UK website, CPD publicity